Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Memorial Day trip to ND

Took the kids down to Minot & Bismarck on US Memorial Day weekend this year. I planned on stocking up on cheap charcoal and good prices for some of my favorite BBQ sauces. I go through this stuff like crazy catering, with all the ribs, chicken, and beans. I don't like using cheap garbage BBQ sauce available in Canada. I mean I used to like Bullseye but now the stuff turns my stomach, there's so much liquid smoke in it.

Well I found lots of my favorite sauces, not just cheap but in bulk sizes too. Famous Dave's, Cattlemans, etc. And kosher salt! $1.50/box, vs. about $5.00 in Saskatchewan. They had non-iodized table salt for $.44/container, you can't even find that stuff in Regina. I used about 1/2 of this salt up making my big batches of rub.

I also took the opportunity to purchase some of my favorite commercial rubs online and had them delivered to a friend in Dickinson, ND. I like experimenting with these but I hate paying the shipping to Canada and I despise getting nailed with UPS's bogus brokerage fees.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun with the kids on this little junket but I was secretly very thrilled with all the BBQ booty! You can't even see the 20-odd bags of charcoal we brought back. Memorial day sales are the best!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment