Monday, September 28, 2009

Off to Kansas City

Well, where has the time gone! We will be leaving for K.C. in about 30 hours... and there's a lot to do before then. I'm not going to worry about it though, I'll get my 5.5 hours of sleep tonight, work my butt off at the office tomorrow and then it's nothing but BBQ for the next 6 days!

We have worked very hard at this little hobby this year. We are honestly a little burnt out - I never thought I would say that but with all the comps, all the catering, 2 jobs etc we are ready for a break. Jacy has been incredibly supportive, as has her family to whom we are already eternally indebted to for their endless willingness to watch our 2 precious little kids...

But enough whining, we are going to the ROYAL!!!! This is awesome, there's no other way to describe it. There are 119 teams registered for the Invitational event, held Friday-Saturday, and over 500 teams registered in the Open competition, scheduled for Saturday-Sunday. It's going to be a very long weekend indeed.

My expectations are tempered. We have been very fortunate in 2009, finishing in either the Grand Champion or Reserve Grand Champion position at all 4 events we entered. BUT this is in the Canadian prairies, not exactly a hotbed of BBQ. There are some talented cooks up here, but I'm competing against arguably 118 of the Best BBQ cooks in the world. A whole new ball game really. Instead of certified judges that have judged 1-3 competitions, I will face judges that have presided over dozens or hundreds of comps. And they are opinionated ;-)

Another factor is that this is a KCBS-sanctioned event... now KCBS is by far the largest, most respected sanctioning body out there, but things are run a bit differently. Instead of turning in meat at 60 minute intervals like we're used to with PNWBA events, we are turning in entries at 30 minute intervals. The meats are also judged in a different order. It's an entirely different schedule, and a much tighter one too. Planning, scheduling, delegation will be KEY.

Now... the logistics of turning in our entries on time: With 120 teams in the Invitational comp, and 500+ teams in the Open comp, with 70,000 spectators, this is a challenge. If our meat is 2 seconds late our entry for that meat category is disqualified. No arguments. Our cook site is about as far away from judging as possible... Just based on the map, I'm estimating it will take 10 minutes to speed walk our entries. This is with two people - one blocker to push through the crowds (Gord, who I think can be pushier and ruder than Dad if necessary), and Dad to carry the meat. This gives them 10 minutes to run, 10 to wait in line, and 10 to return. If they're late returning we'll have to send Jacy. Maybe the blocker will come back early to get ready for the next run.

And I'll have to keep my head in the game. I am giddy with excitement about going, I'm sure I will be blown away by the whole spectacle. How will I focus come crunch time? I guess we'll find out.

The bottom line... While I hope for a call in a category or two, I will be thrilled with an overall finish in the top 50%. I think we can do it.

1 comment:

  1. Some of this sounds pretty stressful yikes
    but.......... You are so calm under pressure

    Good LUCK dude !!

    ReplyDelete